Historic Markers Across Alabama



Dixon Home Place



Marker ID: AHC 
Location:
County: Escambia
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
Four generations of Dixons, each promoting the management of trees as a renewable resource, made their living in forestry on this ground thereby contributing significantly to Alabama’s economy and forest industry.

Jeremiah Dixon II, the son of Revolutionary War Private Jeremiah Dixon, was the first Dixon family member to settle here sometime between 1815 and 1830. This land was passed down through four successive generations: Jeremiah to his son, Wiley Dixon; Wiley to his son, Napoleon Bonepart Dixon; and Napoleon Bonepart’s son, Solon Dixon, eventually inherited the property.

Napoleon’s sons, Solon and Charles Dixon, both raised in this home, became successful forest products industrialists and recognized conservationists.

In 1978, Solon and his wife, Martha, donated the land and a gift to Auburn University to build the Solon Dixon Forestry Education Center. Solon Dixon stated at the Dedication in 1979, "Standing on the very ground which our ancestors homesteaded many years ago, we see the beginning of a learning and research center which will last far beyond our lifetimes."

Side 2:
The Dixon home, built in the 1850’s and moved to this site in the 1870’s, is framed with locally milled pine and was originally constructed as a two-room "dogtrot" with an open porch in front and rear. The home features hand-planed boards on the walls and ceilings and pegged window sashes in the two main rooms.

The rear porch and center breezeway were enclosed to create interior rooms sometime after 1900. Also, a separate two-room kitchen structure was built at the rear, perpendicular to the main home and connected via a covered porch. The home features two riverbank limestone chimneys built with bricks cut from the banks of the nearby Conecuh River.

Originally surrounded by outbuildings related to the Dixon’s forestry operations, the Dixon home is now the center of the Solon Dixon Forestry Education Center.

The house was added in the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 2005.







End of Dixon Home Place