Historic Markers Across Alabama



Canoe Station



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Hwy 31 east of Atmore. AL
County: Escambia
Coordinates: N 31° 1.581    W 087° 24.56
  31.02635       -87.40944
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKCR4
 



Text:

Settled by A.J. Hall in 1852 and occupied by Confederate troops because of its value as a railroad stop during the War Between the States (1861-65), Canoe was the site of a March 27, 1865 encampment of Union forces. The 1870s brought expansion through the A.M. Lowery sawmill. The Farrar, Lowrey, Stanton, Watson, and other stores prospered (1890s-1950s). Schools educated the young and the L&N Railroad provided passenger service (1890-1960s).

The mineral springs was a social center and water was bottled and shipped from the site (early 1900s). WPA employed residents during the Great Depression (1930s). Local sons fought in WWII (1941-45). Many businesses had closed by the mid-1960s as larger commercial centers attracted Canoe’s residents.

Erected by William Caney Camp, Sons of Confederate Veterans







End of Canoe Station