Historic Markers Across Alabama



Site of Fort Crawford



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Shofner and Weaver Streets, East Brewton, AL
County: Escambia
Coordinates: N 31° 6.03    W 087° 3.289
  31.1005    -87.05482
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Fort Crawford was established in 1816 by elements of the 7th U.S. Infantry under order from Major General Andrew Jackson. Purpose was to monitor Spanish activities in West Florida and curtail hostile Creek Indian activities.

Named after Second Lieutenant Joel Crawford, the fort was occupied by units of the regular U.S. Infantry and the Alabama Territorial Militia.

It was abandoned in 1819 after the United States purchased Florida from Spain and the Indian menace abated







End of Site of Fort Crawford