Historic Markers Across Alabama



Pollard Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 910 Lamosa Street, Flomaton, AL
County: Escambia
Coordinates: N 31° 1.556    W 087° 10.299
  31.02593333    -87.17165
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

A pre-Civil War structure, this is the oldest church building remaining in Escambia County, Alabama. Confederate veterans related stories that mules and horses were sheltered inside during harsh winter months. Circuit riders served the church in the early days and in 1869 Robert F. Mountain was pastor. The bell was a gift from a riverboat captain named Kelley in gratitude for the aid church members gave his crew and passengers when his vessel wrecked and burned on the nearby Conecuh River. Methodists were in this area as early as 1830. In 1984 Pollard hosted the Methodist bicentennial celebration for Brewton, East Brewton, Cedar Hill, Zion AME, Flomaton and Century, Florida.

2010 by the Escambia County Historical Society







End of Pollard Methodist Church