Historic Markers Across Alabama



Escambia County Training School



Marker ID:  
Location: On Martin Luther King Ave between Broad & McGlasker Sts.
County: Escambia
Coordinates: N 31° 01.864    W 087° 28.776
  31.03106666    -87.4796
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTWNW
 



Text:

Escambia County
Training School



In 1920, a wooden building was constructed as the Atmore Colored School and operated until 1925. In 1926, a new wood and a brick building was erected with assistance from Rosenwald School fund and it was renamed the Escambia County Training School. The current school buildings date from 1959, 1980, and 1981. Located on what was once 8th Avenue, the school offered instruction in academic and industrial education, and students also participated in many extracurricular activities. The girls' basketball team won the State Championship in 1950-1951. The boys' football team went undefeated and were regional champions in 1958-1959. The boys' basketball team were also regional champions in 1965 and 1968. The first principal was Robert L. Bradley and Woodrow McCorvey Sr. was principal when the high school closed in 1970 due to integration. The campus became the Escambia County Middle School for the next 30 years.


Listed in the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage
Atmore Historical Society



Notes:

More Information:
Wikipedia - Rosenwald School
National Trust for Historic Preservation - Rosenwald Schools, A National Treasure
Wikipedia - Julius Rosenwald
Wikipedia - Booker T. Washington



End of Escambia County Training School