Historic Markers Across Alabama



Gadsden Times-News Building



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: at the intersection of Broad Street and North 5th Street, Gadsden, Alabama
County: Etowah
Coordinates: N 34° 0.816    W 086° 0.284
  34.0136    -86.00473333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME21F
 



Text:

This Italianate brick commercial structure with a cast-iron storefront on the first floor is significant for its 24 year association with Gadsden's principal newspaper. It was constructed in 1904 to house The Gadsden Times-News, which was established in 1867 under the ownership of two Confederate veterans, Leonidas Grant and T. J. Cox. In 1871 it was purchased by William M. Meeks and merged with rival The Gadsden News in 1887. The Meeks family published the paper until 1927 when the business was sold and moved elsewhere.

Renovated in 1981 this building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places January 11, 1983.

Erected 1991 by George D. King, Jr., Thirwell M. Nolen, Burgett H. Mooney, III, Merrill Lynch & Co., Etowah Historical Society







End of Gadsden Times-News Building