Historic Markers Across Alabama



Colonel Hood House



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: the intersection of Chestnut Street and South 9th Street, Gadsden, Alabama
County: Etowah
Coordinates: N 34° 0.835    W 086° 0.861
  34.01391666    -86.01435
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDRDR
 



Text:

This stately Classic Revival house, built c. 1904, was the residence of Colonel Oliver Roland Hood (1867-1951), eminent Gadsden attorney and civic leader. Colonel Hood was one of the three incorporators of Alabama Power Company in 1906 and author of its charter. For 35 years Hood was closely associated with William Patrick Lay in the development of electric power in Alabama.

In 1954 the Gadsden Woman's Club purchased the property to house their organization which was founded in 1923.

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places May 8, 1986)

Erected in 1993 by the Etowah Historical Society and the C. Woodrow Dawson Family in memory of Jerry Morgan Dawson, past president and trustee of the Gadsden Woman's Club

1993 by Alabama Historical Commission.







End of Colonel Hood House