Historic Markers Across Alabama



Camp Sibert



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Gilbert Ferry Road SE (State Highway 77) north of Case Avenue SE, Attalla, Alabama
County: Etowah
Coordinates: N 33° 59.98    W 086° 6.552
  33.99970      -86.10921
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Camp Sibert
World War II: 1942 - 1945


On 6/18/1942 the U.S. took possession of 36,300 acres in Etowah and adjoining St. Clair County to establish Alabama's first Chemical Warfare Center. The area was dedicated on 12/25/1942 and named for U.S. Army M/G William Luther Sibert, first Chief of Chemical Warfare Service and a native of Etowah County. The camp served as a Unit Training Center and a Replacement Training Center for the CWS and could accommodate up to 30,000 troops. Forty-seven percent of all CWS units of WW II were trained here. The camp was deactivated on 12/31/1945.

2005 by Alabama Historical Association







End of Camp Sibert