Historic Markers Across Alabama



Sardis City Beginnings



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Sardis
County: Etowah
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
Sardis community derived its name from Sardis Baptist Church which was founded in 1882 not at this site. There were twenty charter members. They met in a brush arbor until a building was completed in 1887, at this site. The church was a wooden, box frame building with a dirt floor and split logs for benches. In 1888, the church had 74 members. In 1905 a new church was built costing $800.00. This church stood until 1945 when the new brick church was built. The sanctuary addition was complete in 1998. Family life center 2009.

Sardis City was incorporated in 1963 with a population of 210 residences.

The reason for incorporating was to start a water board to provide water to the community. On May 11, 1963 the town was incorporated with the name Sardis City, because there was another town of Sardis in Alabama. On March 1, 1965 the Water Board was incorporated.


Side 2:
The first school building, a one room school house was built in 1905 with the second room added in 1909. In 1925 the first Jr High School was built. The high school was built in 1933 the first football team was organized in 1946 playing in plow shoes modified with wooden cleats. The first football field was built in 1955. The band was organized in 1959. and in 1960 a brick school building was built which was used until the existing building was complete in 2006.

Sardis Service Station on the corner of Church and Sardis Drive was opened by Ezra Johnson in 1930. He started the store with eleven dollars and twenty five cents worth of stock. He sold groceries on credit and would give people until fall to pay their bill. Cotton was the main crop of the 30’s. The City purchased the Store building in 2001 and established a Library and museum for the community.








End of Sardis City Beginnings