Historic Markers Across Alabama



"The Junction" Attalla



Marker ID:  
Location: the intersection of 5th Avenue Northeast (U.S. 431) and Cleveland Avenue, Attalla, Alabama
County: Etowah
Coordinates: N 34° 1.156    W 086° 5.127
  34.01926666    -86.08545
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDR8E
 



Text:

For thousands of years, two important Indian trade routes ran across what was to become Etowah County. The "High Town Path" ran from Charlestown, S.C. west to the Mississippi River, near Memphis, TN. The "Creek Path" begins at Pensacola, Fl. and runs northwest into the Ohio Country.

Two miles west of this spot, on Big Wills Creek, the two routes formed a "Junction," and became a combined path across Racoon (Sand) Mountain, where it again divided.

By 1866-1867, two railroads were under construction and later crossed to form a junction. In 1873 it was chartered as a Town Attalla.

Erected 2008 by Cherokee Chapter National Society Colonial Dames of the XVII Century.







End of "The Junction" Attalla