Historic Markers Across Alabama



Camp Wills



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of 5th Avenue Northeast (U.S. 431) and Cleveland Avenue, Attalla, Alabama
County: Etowah
Coordinates: N 34° 1.155    W 086° 5.13
  34.01925    -86.0855
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDR5N
 



Text:

Established as a supply camp by General Andrew Jackson, September 1813, on the banks of Big Wills Creek. It was here that Jackson directed the first campaign of the Creek War, and promoted Colonel John Coffee to Brigadier General and Captain Newton Cannon to Colonel, 24 September 1813.

The victory of this army at Horseshoe Bend, in 1814, led the Creek Indians to cede thousands of acres of land to the United States and opened the way for the formation of the Alabama Territory in 1818, and the State of Alabama in 1819.

Erected 2008 by The Alabama Charter Chapter National Society United States Daughters of 1812.







End of Camp Wills