Historic Markers Across Alabama



First United Methodist Church of Attalla



Marker ID:  
Location: the intersection of 6th Avenue and 4th Street NW, Attalla, Alabama
County: Etowah
Coordinates: N 34° 1.415    W 086° 5.274
  34.02358333    -86.0879
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDR5H
 



Text:

In 1851 twelve Methodists meet in Newton (later Attalla) to plan a Methodist Episcopal Church. A crude log building on North Fifth Street served as the first church. In 1861 and again in 1882 the church relocated on Fifth to accommodate the growing membership. A full-time pastor was added in 1888. In 1896 Attalla was first reported at the North Alabama Methodist Annual Conference. Ground was broken for the present church home in 1903. On May 1, 1904, the congregation assembled for the first Sunday worship in the new sanctuary.

Erected 2003 by Etowah Historical Society.







End of First United Methodist Church of Attalla