Historic Markers Across Alabama



Congregation Beth Israel



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Chestnut Street and South 8th Street, Gadsden, Alabama
County: Etowah
Coordinates: N 34° 0.844    W 086° 0.701
  34.01406666    -86.01168333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME21C
 



Text:

Congregation Beth Israel
"Love Thy Neighbor As Thyself" - Leviticus 19: 18


A religious school was organized in the Nadler home for the children of 10 Jewish families in 1903. From these roots came the first formal worship service in 1908.

The cornerstone for the sanctuary was laid on March 8, 1922 with both Jewish and Masonic rites. The sanctification was celebrated on February 23, 1923.

While the dedication of the Zemurray Social Hall on March 25, 1960 was marred by a fire-bombing, the Congregation has steadfastly remained committed to both its Jewish heritage and its community.

Dedicated by Congregation Beth Israel and The Etowah County Historical Society 1998.







End of Congregation Beth Israel