Historic Markers Across Alabama



Gadsden Amphitheater



Marker ID:  
Location: At the Gadsden Municipal Amphitheatre , on South 1st Street south of Walnut Street, Gadsden, Alabama
County: Etowah
Coordinates: N 34° 0.497    W 086° 0.102
  34.00828333    -86.0017
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Through the efforts of local citizens, Benny Dean and Floyd Beddingfield, the City of Gadsden obtained this facility from American Legion Post Number 5 in 1985. Built in 1935, the amphitheater seats 1600 persons. Designed by local architect, Paul W. Hofferbert, this beautiful open air arena is significant example of the rustic stone construction typical of the 1930s Works Progress Administration. The amphitheater and adjacent auditorium, both W.P.A. projects, was called Gadsden Civic Center prior to 1960. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
Dedicated September 29, 1994
Steve Means - Mayor

City Council
Robert Echols - President • William Cunningham • Doug Weems • Robert Avery • Jim Turnbach • Dawson Partee • Harry Moon

Jerry Alford, Director of Parks and Recreation
Ronald L. Carr, Director of Planning

Erected 1994 by Etowah Historical Society.








End of Gadsden Amphitheater