Historic Markers Across Alabama



Sisters Missionary Servants of The Most Blessed Trinity



Marker ID:  
Location: the intersection of South 1st Street and South 3rd Street,
County: Etowah
Coordinates: N 34° 0.326    W 086° 0.217
  34.00543333    -86.00361666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME1TH
 



Text:

On January 25, 1925 the Sisters acquired the 25 - bed Gadsden General Hospital on Chestnut Street and renamed it Holy Name of Jesus Hospital. The Hospital grew under the leadership of the Founders, Father Thomas A. Judge, C. M. and Mother Mary Boniface Keasey, M. S. B. T. In 1931 a new 120 - bed hospital was constructed on this site on land purchased from the Moragne family. Other additions were made during the 1960s and 1970s and the capacity was increased to 281 beds. In 1991 the Sisters transferred ownership of the Medical Center in order to assume new ministries. The service of 175 Sisters to the people of Northeast Alabama spanned 66 years and touched hundreds of thousands of lives. The Sisters will long be remembered for promoting a family spirit and a tradition of caring.

Erected in 1991 by the Volunteer Corps and Friends of the Hospital and the Etowah County Historical Society.







End of Sisters Missionary Servants of The Most Blessed Trinity