Historic Markers Across Alabama



Alabama City, Alabama



Marker ID:  
Location: W. Meighan Blvd. (US 278), Old Fire House, Gadsden, AL
County: Etowah
Coordinates: N 34° 01.347    W 086° 02.754
  34.02245    -86.0459
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPVGD
 



Text:

During the year 1890, Capt. James H. Elliott, Jr., the famed riverboat captain and industrialist, began to draw up plans for a new town about ten miles west of Gadsden. Elliott's dream was to develop the town as an industrial center and eventually merge it with Gadsden and Attalia into one major city, named Alabama City.

The town became a reality in 1890 when Elliott, Col. R. B. Kyle and T. S. Kyle met to found the town of Alabama City. Elliott applied for a post office for the new village in 1891. It was granted, and Elliott directed the mail from the car works through the Alabama City Post Office in order to pay the first postmaster, J. K. Fleming. The large volume of mail gave the new post office a substantial amount of business during the early days.

The first elections were held for Alabama City in March 1891, with William Gardner being elected its first mayor.

Kyle worked tirelessly to bring a major industry to the Alabama City area. Kyle opened the first industry here known as the Alabama City Furniture Company which made hand carved tables. Kyle's efforts were rewarded when the Dwight Manufacturing Company of Chicopee, Mass., announced that a giant cotton mill would be located in Alabama City. The company sent officials to the 3,000-acre town to begin plans to bring the industry to Etowah County. Kyle offered to donate the land to build the textile plant. The mill opened in 1896.

With the effects of the "Great Depression" lingering and Alabama City unable to meet payroll, the only solution appeared to be a merger with Gadsden. The vote came about July 12, 1932. Mayor R. D. Morgan thought the merger with Gadsden would help, relieve the financial crunch. The citizens of Alabama City voted 520 ~ 133 in favor of merging with Gadsden. Alabama City officially became part of the city of Gadsden on July 13, 1932.







End of Alabama City, Alabama