Historic Markers Across Alabama



Town of Berry / Berry Heritage Park



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Glen Allen
County: Fayette
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
In the early times Glen Allen was known as Stewart's Gap. Glen Allen convened its origin from the last names of two engineers who worked with the railroad company. In early 1889 lots of land were laid out along the rail tracks using the railroad to serve as the center of the bustling community's business. The railroad proved to be the backbone of the early settlement and the community's growth prospered with the railroads assistance of moving passengers and products east and west. Steam locomotives were first to come over the tracks yearning an excitement for both children and adults. One of the first items shipped from Glen Allen by train was unwashed sand, which was loaded by hand onto the rail cars by men using wheelbarrows. The sand pit was owned and operated by the William Henry Stewart family. Other items shipped in the early times were cross ties, lumber, cotton, cotton seed, sassafras oil, and coal as well as passengers.

Side 2:
The Town of Glen Allen was incorporated in May 1959 consisting of three forty-acre blocks of land located in Fayette and Marion Counties. J.P. Gilstrap served as first mayor and his town council members were: Roy Aldridge, Johnny Dozier, David Franks, W.M. Logan and W.H. Stewart. In 1961 additional land was annexed to the original three forties of incorporation. A public water system consisting of a town well and three miles of water lines were constructed in 1967. Land was annexed on the south side of town in 1968, which included Hubbertville School, and the public water system was extended south to serve the school. 1970 through 1980 brought prosperity to Glen Allen with many new residences and businesses locating within the town limits. With a dire need for potable water assistance, the 1990's brought additional annexation with residents of the Bazemore community annexing property. In 2006, land was annexed to the west encompassing the Elm Church community providing much needed potable water to serve those residents.
Franklin County








End of Town of Berry / Berry Heritage Park