Historic Markers Across Alabama



Russellville



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 101 Jackson Ave N, Russellville, AL
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 34° 30.293    W 087° 43.828
  34.50488333    -87.73046666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Incorporated on November 27, 1819, three weeks before Alabama achieved statehood, Russellville was platted around the intersection of two historic roads.

Edmund Pendleton Gaines began work on the road that would bear his name on December 26, 1807. Gaines’ Trace extended from Melton’s Bluff, at the head of the Elk River shoals, to Cotton Gin Port on the Tombigbee River in present-day Mississippi. Lawrence Street follows part of that route through town.

Work on a more direct road from Nashville to New Orleans began in 1817 under Andrew Jackson’s supervision. The route was called Jackson’s Military Road, and Jackson Avenue as it passes through Russellville.







End of Russellville