Historic Markers Across Alabama



Town of Vina / History of Vina



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: near a small park off Alabama Hwy 19, Vina, AL
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 34° 22.609    W 088° 03.524
  34.37681666    -88.05873333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNA9C
 



Text:

Side 1:
On February 9, 1909 the following group of men petitioned the Honorable A.J. Moody, Probate Judge of Franklin County, Alabama to hold an election to incorporate the Town of Vina. The men were W.W. Weatherford, H.H. Weatherford, C.A. Wren, T.J. Bohannon, T.W. Wren, O.P. McClain, T.A. Wren, J.W. Rogers, I.J. Rogers, A.M. Reid, J.E. Nelson, H.C. Upton, R.P. Isbell, L.M. Carter, J.D. Carter, V.E. Shotts, C.E. Newton, R. Winchester, J.M. Hughes, F.M. Kidd, J.W. Upton, J.G. Upton, L.O. Newton, Ross Massey, A.W. Clark, and W.H. Tipton. There were more than 100 inhabitants within said territory that sought to be incorporated. The election was held on March 9, 1909 with 31 votes cast unanimously for the incorporation. Probate Judge A.J. Moody signed the incorporation papers on March 13, 1909.



History of Vina


Side 2:
Vina was first known as Jones Crossroads, and later it was called New Burleson before the railroad came through. In the early 1900’s the Illinois Central Railroad was built through Jones Crossroads and the town’s name was changed to Vina because an engineer on a train had a wife named Elvina that he called Viney. The first store was established by Weatherford and Wren in 1906. The first shipment of goods delivered by the train to Vina was in 1907. On January 10, 1910 the first passenger train came through Vina. The first post office was granted in 1907 with W.H. Weatherford as postmaster. Eighty acres of land owned by a Mr. Rollins and Mr. Wilson were purchased for settlement and is now the present location of Vina. Vina was incorporated in 1909 and the first ordinance on record was passed on 11-2-1914 with A.W. Wright as mayor and P.M. Spencer as clerk.







End of Town of Vina / History of Vina