Historic Markers Across Alabama



Earliest Church In Hartford



Marker ID:  
Location: on North Shiloh Road, Hartford, Alabama
County: Geneva
Coordinates: N 31° 6.909    W 085° 40.204
  31.11515    -85.67006666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized on June 30, 1888 by thirteen charter members as Dundee Missionary Baptist Church. The congregation originally worshipped in a brush arbor on this present site. The first church building was erected from pine slabs in the summer of 1886. This served as the house of worship until June 1954 at which time it was destroyed by fire. Reconstruction was begun immediately and completed in October 1954. The designated name Shiloh was the home church of seven of the thirteen charter members. The mother church is located at Cottonhill, (Clay County) Georgia. The thirteen original members were:

J. J. Peacock • Martha Jane Peacock • Augustus Ham • Bethiah Ham • A. S. Peacock • Hattie E. Peacock • Sarah Stokes • J. E. Hudson • W. O. Williams • Fannie Williams • J. N. Kirkland • Jane E. Hawthorne • Margrete Hawthorne







End of Earliest Church In Hartford