Historic Markers Across Alabama



Beulah Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location:
County: Greene
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Beulah Baptist Church
Organized February 23, 1833


Charter members were-Elizabeth Brooks, David S. Brooks, Thomas J. Drummond, Nancy Leatherwood, John Leopard, Albert M. Tandy, Matilda Tandy, Ralph Tandy, Luke Thornton, Sarah Thornton, Rev. Matthew Pickett Smith. The first building was of hewn logs but today, on the same property, are located the red brick sanctuary and educational rooms erected 1948. Rev. Matthew Pickett Smith served as pastor 1836-1881. The first Sunday School was organized 1877 with Thomas J. Nix serving as superintendent. Throughout the years, members have gone from this church to serve as leaders in various places.







End of Beulah Baptist Church