Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. John's Church (Episcopal)



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Demopolis Highway (U.S. 43) and A. L. Isaac Road, Forkland, Alabama
County: Greene
Coordinates: N 32° 39.056    W 087° 52.893
  32.65093333    -87.88155
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5YAF
 



Text:

Organized "in the Prairie" south of Greensboro in 1834 by the Rev. Caleb Ives, pioneer missionary to the old Southwest. Admitted to parish status in 1838 by the Rt. Rev. Jackson Kemper, Provisional Bishop of Alabama. First rector was the Rev. John Avery, D.D. Present building designed by Mr. Richard Upjohn, renowned American architect and founder of the American Institute of Architects. Erected in 1859 and moved across the Warrior River to its present location in 1878.

Erected 1972 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of St. John's Church (Episcopal)