Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. Mark's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Eutaw
County: Greene
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Around 1834, the first Episcopal Church services held in Greene County were conducted in the Fork of Greene. In 1846, Bishop Nicholas Hamner Cobbs wrote in his diary that he preached at Burton's Hill in the Fork of Greene and confirmed three persons. The Episcopalians in the Fork of Greene were originally a part of St. Stephens Parish, Eutaw, Alabama, but were recognized by the Diocesan Convention in 1847 as St. Mark's. In 1854, the original church was built and served the parish until the building was torn down and moved to this site. On December 14, 1880, the second bishop of Alabama, the Rt. Reverend Richard Hooker Wilmer, consecrated this building as St. Mark's Church; Fork of Greene, Boligee, Alabama. Early members of St. Mark's were John G. Friend, A. Little, P.L. Lightfoot, William Proctor Gould and J.J. Thornton.







End of St. Mark's Episcopal Church