Historic Markers Across Alabama



Welcome to Eutaw, Alabama: The Gateway To The Black Belt County Seat of Greene County



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: is on Main Street (U.S. 11) near Springfield Avenue, Eutaw, Alabama
County: Greene
Coordinates: N 32° 50.463    W 087° 53.264
  32.84105    -87.88773333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1838, Greene County citizens voted to change the town seat from Erie to Eutaw. The City of Eutaw, Alabama was incorporated as a town by and act of the State Legislature on January 2, 1841. Greene County had been named for General Nathaniel Green. The name, Eutaw, was chosen to commemorate the Battle of Eutaw Springs fought in South Carolina in 1781, the battle in which General Greene defeated the British. Since the county had been named for him, the people chose to name the town after his famous victory. The word, "Eutaw," comes from the aborigines’ language, characterizing the South Carolina Indians as the "Highlanders" or "The Hill Dwellers." The proposed town was surveyed and laid out by Robert G. Quarles in December 1838. In August 2000, Raymond Steele was elected as the first African American Mayor of Eutaw.

Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Eutaw.







End of Welcome to Eutaw, Alabama: The Gateway To The Black Belt County Seat of Greene County