Historic Markers Across Alabama



Moundville



Marker ID: AHC 
Location:
County: Hale
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Site of a prehistoric Native American political and ceremonial center from about A.D. 1100-1500 that, at its height in the 13th century, was America’s largest community north of Mexico. Between 1,000 and 3,000 people lived in this town fortified by a one-mile long wooden wall studded with guard towers. Moundville served as the capital of a powerful chiefdom of about 10,000 people living in smaller villages over a 60-mile stretch of the Black Warrior River Valley from present day Tuscaloosa to Demopolis. The Moundville people constructed 28 massive flat-topped earthen mounds arranged systematically around a vast central plaza. The mounds served as elevated platforms for civic and ceremonial structures and the homes of nobles.

The site was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1964 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.







End of Moundville