Historic Markers Across Alabama



Greensboro Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Main Street and Demopolis Street, Greensboro, AL
County: Hale
Coordinates: N 32° 42.243    W 087° 35.89
  32.70405    -87.59816666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized 1823 by Rev. James Hillhouse of South Carolina, with Patrick Norris and William Hillhouse, veterans of American Revolution, as founding elders.

Original wooden structure replaced by brick building in 1841 under pastorate of Rev. Thomas Sydenham Witherspoon.

Present building erected in 1859 when Rev. J. C. Mitchell was pastor.

Old slave gallery may still be seen.

Erected 1959 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Greensboro Presbyterian Church