Historic Markers Across Alabama



Hobson Bethel Methodist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Newbern
County: Hale
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Newbern Methodists held services in Presbyterian Church until 1884. Present site selected and church building completed in the fall of 1884. Cornerstone placed in northeast foundation.

Fine, walnut altar rail is original and hand-hewn. Pulpit and chairs donated when church erected. Lumber used in construction of building hand-hewn and mortised. Pews and lighting system have been replaced.

Services held on first Sunday monthly. Rev. J. Bancoft, presiding elder, and Rev. J.A. Moore, minister, called meeting of members in 1883 including the names: Hobson, Holcroft, Walker, Scott, Huggins, Moor, True, Sadler, Turpin.

Building committee consisted of Mr. Will Sadler, Mr. E.B. Holcroft, and Mr. J.A. Moore. Mrs. Sallie L. Hobson granted privilege of naming church as she raised and donated largest amount of funds for construction.







End of Hobson Bethel Methodist Church