Historic Markers Across Alabama



Henry County Training School, Established 1914



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Co. Rd. 25 off Ala. Hwy 10 east of Abbeville, AL
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 34.69    W 085° 19.00
  31.5782    -85.3167
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK631
 



Text:

Founded by Laura L. Ward. Building designed and constructed by Jim McCauley on land given by Glass Maybin. Classes began Sept., 1917. Principals who served school were: J. H. Jackson, W. R. Rosser, Felix Blackwood, Sr., and William B. Ward, Sr. First teachers were: Laura L. Ward, Bertha Matthews and Mattie Belle.
School operated for 53 years until closed June 30, 1970. During this time it served as principal educational center for black citizens of Henry County, graduating a total of 1297 students.







End of Henry County Training School, Established 1914