Historic Markers Across Alabama



Head's Land Yielded Fruits of Success



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Main Street 0.1 miles south of Alabama Route 173, Headland, AL
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 21.127    W 085° 20.555
  31.35211666    -85.34258333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKA1C
 



Text:

Begun on 160 acres of land owned by Dr. Joshua Head, "Head's Land," or Headland, was established in 1871, incorporated as a town in 1884 and a city in 1893.

The land itself yielded the city's first industry. Due to the abundance of pine trees, timber and turpentine became big business. With this industry, the town began to grow as dry goods, hotels, grocery stores, blacksmith shops, and sawmills began to spring up, many around Headland's now popular square.

The timber business later yielded to cotton, corn and other crops. But the location of the city in the center of what was then the largest county in the state, Henry, made it a popular site.

The coming of the railroad and the popularity of the peanut as a crop firmly seated Headland as an agricultural leader in the region, a position it maintains to this day. Agriculture, a growing industrial scene, good schools and churches, and a friendly people are now drawing cards which are keeping Headland growing, promising a bright future for years to come.
Henry County







End of Head's Land Yielded Fruits of Success