Historic Markers Across Alabama



The First Baptist Church of Abbeville/Abbeville Pioneer Cemetery



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: 100 Columbia Road, Abbeville, AL
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 34.075    W 085° 14.979
  31.56791666    -85.24965
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF ABBEVILLE


This church was founded in 1834 as a mission of the Lawrenceville Baptist Church. Reverend Jeremiah Campbell was one of the early pastors. Later meetings were held in the lower story of the old wooden Abbeville Methodist Church. In 1847, two acres were deeded here by the Town of Abbeville to deacons Benjamin Lansdale and William Nance for use by the Baptist Church at Abbeville. The one-room church was part of the Salem Association until 1850, when the church joined the Judson Missionary Baptist Association during a Holy War over missions. A brick church was built in 1903. This church is the oldest member of the Judson Association.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Henry County Historical Group

May 2010


ABBEVILLE PIONEER CEMETERY


The adjoining cemetery is the oldest of three cemeteries owned by the City of Abbeville. The oldest marker birth date is Richard Hudspeth, 1776. The oldest marker burial date is Mary B. Gordon, 1841. In 1898, J. A. Clendinen sold an acre to the City of Abbeville Graveyard Committee for $125. John B. Ward provided a white picket fence that once surrounded the cemetery. A notable Abbeville historian, Mr. William W. Nordan, renamed the cemetery in 1983 as the Yatta Abba Pioneer Cemetery in remembrance of the many prominent Abbeville and Henry County forbearers resting beneath this historical and hallowed burial ground.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Henry County Historical Group

May 2010









End of The First Baptist Church of Abbeville/Abbeville Pioneer Cemetery