Historic Markers Across Alabama



Chattahoochee River Crossing



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: near the McKemie Bridge on Alabama Highway 10, fourteen miles east of Abbeville, Alabama.
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 36.255    W 085° 03.562
  31.60425    -85.05936666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMANRT
 



Text:

First settler crossings were made here prior to 1817 on a log ferry operated by Robert Irwin. First bridge built by Prescott and Bemis and destroyed by flood of 1855. Second wooden covered bridge was completed in 1869 by ex-slave Horace King. Third was the Henry-Clay cantilever bridge opened in 1925. Fourth is the present McKemie Bridge opened in 1973. This river was the number one highway for local prehistorical man long before Christ. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1978.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: February 11, 1979




End of Chattahoochee River Crossing