Historic Markers Across Alabama



Cureton Bridge Post Office



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Intersection of Alabama Highway 27 and Henry County Road 7
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 21.088    W 085° 20.295
  31.35146666    -85.33825
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Cureton Bridge Post Office


The Cureton Bridge Post Office was established here August 21, 1850. The first postmaster was James U. Cureton who served until 1852. John A. Wood became postmaster and continued in this position until the office was discontinued in 1866. It was re-established July 21, 1870 with Daniel A. Wiggins as postmaster until 1880. The next postmaster was Nancy Willis who served until the post office was discontinued on September 17, 1904 and moved to Capps Station. The mail carrier at that time was Jackson Riley. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1988.


Cureton Bridge


Cureton Bridge was an old settlement named for the Cureton family who settled here in the early 1820's. The village was located on the East Fork of the Choctawhatchee River in the western part of Henry County and the northeast of what later became the Center Community. William Jackson Cureton, 1760-1832, was a native of Virginia who moved here about 1825. He constructed a private bridge across the Choctawhatchee River one mile east of here which was the first to be built over this waterway. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1988.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  September 25, 1988



End of Cureton Bridge Post Office