Historic Markers Across Alabama



Franklin - First Beachhead into East Alabama



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: near the McKemie Bridge on Alabama Highway 10, fourteen miles east of Abbeville, Alabama.
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 36.259    W 085° 03.603
  31.60431666    -85.06005
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMANRV
 



Text:

The frontier village of Franklin was established here by Colonel Robert Irwin in 1814 on the site of the Indian town of Cheeska Talofa. It was the first colonial village in east Alabama. Fort Gaines, Georgia, was constructed in 1816 to protect the early settlers in this former Creek Indian Nation, West. Twenty-one blocks were laid off for this promising river port of Abbeville. This prospective early city never recovered from the destructive flood of 1888.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1978.





Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  January 21, 1979



End of Franklin - First Beachhead into East Alabama