Historic Markers Across Alabama



Headland, Alabama / Headland Public Square



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Headland Public Square, Main St., Headland, Alabama
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 21.124    W 085° 20.553
  31.35206666    -85.34255
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKA1D
 



Text:

Headland, Alabama


James Joshua Head (1839-1927) founded Headland in 1871 as Head’s Land. He patented land, platted the town and built his home. The Post Office opened, as Headland, on October 10, 1871. J. J. Head sold Headland to Hosey C. Powell in 1879, who sold to Dr. Wyatt S. Oates in 1880. J. J. Head moved to Tampa, Florida in 1883 and later established Lake Magdalene. Headland incorporated in 1884 with 26 white and 4 black petitioners. The railroad and depot were built in 1893. Headland grew into Henry County’s largest city by 2000.
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Henry County Historical Group, Headland Kiwanis Club and The Headland National Bank, 2005.

HEADLAND PUBLIC SQUARE


This public square was laid off in 1871 by J. J. Head with a vision for a branch court house. Henry County voters decided in the 1879 and 1885 court house site elections not to locate a court house on the public square. Henry has been Alabama’s only County with three court houses at the same time. The Alabama Supreme Court ruled in 1908 that the town of Headland had title to the square instead of Dr. W. S. Oates (1852-1913), who had claimed title when he purchased the town in 1880. Dr. Oates was instrumental in the development of Headland. The first public statue in Henry County was erected on the square in 1926 and the square was paved in 1935.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Henry County Historical Group and Friends of Headland, 2005.





Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  January 1, 2005



End of Headland, Alabama / Headland Public Square