Historic Markers Across Alabama



Henry, the Mother County



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Located on the lawn of the Henry County Courthouse, Abbeville, Alabama.
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 34.268    W 085° 15.009
  31.57113333    -85.25015
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFKE0
 



Text:

Upon formation, Henry County was the largest county within Alabama, composing all or portion of the present counties of Barbour, Coffee, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Geneva, Houston and Pike. When the youngest county of Houston was formed in 1903, Henry became the smallest. Franklin, the dead river port of Abbeville on the Chattahoochee River, was the colonial settler's first beachhead into the wild west of Creek Indian Territory after 1814. Old Henry was the original Alabama Wiregrass area. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1979.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  March 18, 1979



End of Henry, the Mother County