Historic Markers Across Alabama



Indian Treaty Boundary Line



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Screamer Fire Station #1 on Henry County Road 97
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 41.631    W 085° 9.088
  31.69385    -85.15146666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKA0N
 



Text:

The Treaty of Fort Jackson on August 9, 1814 by Major General Andrew Jackson on behalf of the President of the United States of America and Chiefs, Deputies and Warriors of the Creek Indian Nation, established a boundary line between the Mississippi Territory and the Creek Nation. The line ran across present-day Henry County from the mouth of Hardridge Creek to south of Chester Chapel Church. The Creek Treaty of 1832 ceded this reservation line allowing Henry County's northeast boundary to be extended from this line north to White Oak Creek. This is the only instance when Henry County gained land.
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The Henry County Historical Group and by Friends of the Creek Indians, 2005.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  October 1, 2005



End of Indian Treaty Boundary Line