Historic Markers Across Alabama



Lawrenceville / Lawrenceville Academy



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: intersection of CR 31 and CR 119 (Old 431)
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 39.572    W 085° 16.154
  31.65953333    -85.26923333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKA0A
 



Text:

Lawrenceville


This cultural, educational and religious center in east Alabama was settled in 1823 and named for Joseph Lawrence, prominent pioneer, farmer, and extensive land owner. A Baptist and a Methodist Church were established here prior to 1830. The first settlers of this area came from the Carolinas and Georgia, crossing the Chattahoochee River at Franklin and squatting here until land could be purchased in 1828.


Lawrenceville Academy

The first and foremost educational facility in east Alabama opened here prior to 1840. It later became the Masonic Male and Female Institute. This pioneer school was active for 50 years graduating such outstanding personalities as Anson West, DDV, Methodist minister, missionary, author, educator, and William C. Oates, Governor of Alabama, Colonel C.S.A., General U.S.A., and author.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1978.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: November 12, 1978




End of Lawrenceville / Lawrenceville Academy