Historic Markers Across Alabama



Liberty United Methodist Church / Hilliardsville



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: County Road 92, Screamer Community
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 40.895    W 085° 12.126
  31.68158333    -85.2021
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKA0E
 



Text:

Liberty United Methodist Church


Also called Liberty Chapel, the Church was organized circa 1830 and originally located three miles northeast of this site, on the Old Liberty Church Road. Anson West, the prominent Methodist historian was licensed to exhort there November 3, 1855. In 1873, the building was dismantled and moved to this site, donated by the Peacock Family, to be used as a place of Divine Worship. It was used as a schoolhouse for many years. Using much of the original material, the church was rebuilt in 1914 and later enclosed with brick. Sunday School rooms, bathrooms, kitchen and fellowship hall were added in recent years.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1989.


Hilliardsville


Hilliardsville post office was established near here on May 18, 1850, with Washington H. Peacock as its first postmaster, followed in 1860 by John M. Woods. Discontinued during the Civil War, the post office was re-established in 1872 with Matilda Thompson as postmistress. Later appointments were John P. Crawford in 1876, Matilda Thompson again in 1878, James A. Phillips and Richard Knight in 1882, Mattie R. Bedell in 1883, John C. McLeod, Maggie E. Johnston in 1884, and William F. Watford in 1887. His son, John W. Watford served from 1897 until October 15, 1907, when mail service was transferred to the Abbeville Post Office.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1989.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: April 23, 1989




End of Liberty United Methodist Church / Hilliardsville