Historic Markers Across Alabama



Methodist Episcopal Church, South



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: South Doswell Street (Hwy. 95 S.) Abbeville, Alabama
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 34.173    W 085° 14.975
  31.56955    -85.24958333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFKTP
 



Text:

Erected to the Glory of God. The Methodist Church in Abbeville was established circa 1830 as a mission of the Lawrenceville circuit. The 1850 church was erected north of the present post office on East Washington Street. Present church retains most of its original features including bell and belfry, parquet ceiling and hand finished beams. First Sunday School annex built in 1949 with addition in 1958. Proclaimed Henry County's number one historical structure in 1973 by Henry County Historical Society.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1979.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  May 27, 1979



End of Methodist Episcopal Church, South