Historic Markers Across Alabama



Newville Baptist Church / Newville Baptist Church Cemetery



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: West Columbia Road (County Road 12), Newville, Alabama
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 25.39    W 085° 20.286
  31.42316666    -85.3381
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK633
 



Text:

Newville Baptist Church


A small Baptist congregation met under a brush arbor in 1876, near what later became the village of Wells which grew into the town of Newville, Alabama. A log church called Center was erected in 1881; it stood about 500 yards from the present church. Sunday School was organized in 1890. Farmer's Union Grange Hall, a two story building, was later constructed -- Center Church held meetings on the first floor. Center became the Newville Baptist Church in 1911. Grange Hall was torn down and a new frame church was built in 1913. The present brick church was built in 1923. Additions were added in 1951 and 1958.


Newville Baptist Church Cemetery


James M. and Catherine Wells donated one half acre of land in 1887, for the site of the church and cemetery. The oldest known grave is William Y. Kirkland who died April 10, 1891. The church paid W. M. Harris fifty dollars in 1901 for two and one-half acres of land for the cemetery. In 1947, burial spaces were sold for 25 cents a square foot. Nancy Price gave the church one acre of land for the cemetery in 1958. There are over 700 marked and unmarked graves. The Newville Cemetery was listed on the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register in 2005.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: November 6, 2005




End of Newville Baptist Church / Newville Baptist Church Cemetery