Historic Markers Across Alabama



Newville, Alabama / Newville Pioneers



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: N. Broad Street (Alabama Hwy. 173), downtown Newville, Alabama
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 25.27    W 085° 20.172
  31.42116666    -85.3362
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK628
 



Text:

Newville, Alabama


James Madison Wells founded a village called Wells circa 1882. When Abbeville Southern Railroad laid tracks through the town in 1893, its name was changed to Wells Station. The post office was built in 1894. Wells Station incorporated as "Newville" in 1903. The town of Newville became prosperous with merchants, banks, lodges, doctors, churches, a Newville High School, a Rosenwald High School, societies, a newspaper, a depot, sawmills, cotton gins, mule stables and all the elements required by a developing town. Newville's slow decline commenced after the great depression due to farm mechanization and loss of commerce.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The Henry County Historical Group and Friends of Newville, 2004.


NEWVILLE PIONEERS


Pioneer men and women of Wells and Newville were farmers, housewives, laborers, tradesmen and entrepreneurs seeking a better life. These pioneers were risk takers who forged a new village and town. Some of these hard working adventurers included pioneering families of: James M. Wells, T. J. Bond, Moses M. Bond, Henry L. Brackin, John Griffin, H. C. Price, Joe Whiddon, Jim Griffin, Dr. Carl T. Jones, Dr. Littleton T. Hutto, James W. Capps, Bud Coley, Abner Jackson, Dr. A. L. Whigham, Lawrence Cotton, Eddie Kirkland, Joe McClendon, John W. Whiddon, Joseph S. Kirkland, William Kirkland and others.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The Henry County Historical Group and Friends of Newville, 2004.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: November 7, 2004



End of Newville, Alabama / Newville Pioneers