Historic Markers Across Alabama



Old Center Methodist Church/Old Center Cemetery



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: On County Road 89, Newville, Alabama.
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 29.016    W 085° 24.582
  31.4836    -85.4097
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKA0G
 



Text:

Old Center Methodist Church


The church was organized in 1859. The first building was a log structure located just NW of the present building. In the 1870's it was part of the Newton Circuit and was served by a minister who lived in the parsonage at Newton. He came by horseback and preached once a month. The second church was a wood structure. It was built from hand sawn timber. Mr. Taylor Harrison was head carpenter. In 1956, the current brick structure was built.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The Henry County Historical Group, Inc., and Friends of Center Methodist Church. 2009


Old Center Cemetery


In 1858, Jehoiakim (Acom) and his wife Argent Gay Brannon gave ten acres of land for the church and cemetery. Acom was killed in May 1864 while serving in the Confederate Army. He is buried in the Marietta National Cemetery in Georgia. The oldest known grave is for William J. Cureton, a Revolutionary War soldier, who died in 1833. There are 14 known Civil War soldiers buried here as well as soldiers who served in WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. The cemetery has over 870 known graves. The Old Center Cemetery was listed on the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register in 2007.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The Henry County Historical Group, Inc., and Friends of Center Methodist Chuch. 2009




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: June 7, 200



End of Old Center Methodist Church/Old Center Cemetery