Historic Markers Across Alabama



Pelham House / Abbeville Southern Railroad



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: West Williams and East Washington at Old Abbeville Depot
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 34.305    W 085° 15.367
  31.57175    -85.25611666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFKEK
 



Text:

Pelham House


Originally constructed about 1820 as a single pen log dwelling, this building was later enlarged into a dogtrot house and covered with weatherboards. It was situated next to the earliest Henry County road known as the Irwinton (Eufaula), Franklin, Columbia Postal-Stagecoach River Road. It is an excellent example of the oldest type of folk house in the lower Chattahoochee Valley. Preserved by the L.F. Mills family for over 100 years, this house was disassembled, moved and restored on this site by the A. J. Rane family of Abbeville.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Henry County Historical Society and the Great Southern Wood Preserving Company, Inc., 1991


Abbeville Southern Railroad


For the first 75 years of its history, Abbeville's commerce was tied directly to the Chattahoochee River by Indian trails and wagon roads. The arrival of the first train on the Abbeville Southern Railroad, November 27, 1893, signaled the dawn of a new era in Abbeville’s commercial life. In the December 1, 1893 issue of the Abbeville Times, the editor described the arrival which was received by "hundreds of people with happy and throbbing hearts." Railroad workers were treated to a holiday and parade the next day "with over one hundred and thirty mules and as many or more laborers leading the band."

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Henry County Historical Society and the Great Southern Wood Preserving Company, Inc., 1991



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 1, 1991




End of Pelham House / Abbeville Southern Railroad