Historic Markers Across Alabama



Seven Flags and an Arrow over Abbeville



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Located on the lawn of Abbeville City Hall, Abbeville, Alabama.
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 34.299    W 085° 14.953
  31.57165    -85.24921666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFKQ6
 



Text:

SIDE 1:
Pre-historical man; Creek Indian Nation, West 1519-1814; Spanish Florida 1540-1702; French Louisiana 1702-1763; British West Florida 1763-1780; Spanish West Florida 1780-1813; United States 1813-1861; Georgia Territory 1732-1802; Mississippi Territory 1798-1804; Alabama Territory 1817-1819; Washington County 1800-1812; Conecuh County 1818-1819; Confederate States of America 1861-1865; United States 1865-. Abbe, an Indian name of nearby Creek meaning a grove of dogwood trees.


SIDE 2:
The oldest remaining colonial settlement in east Alabama from Florida to the Tennessee line and older than the County of Henry and the State of Alabama. An active trading post was located here in Alabama Territory on "The Hill" early in 1819. The first settler gateway to the Wiregrass was at Franklin, located 14 miles east.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1978.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: April 7, 1979




End of Seven Flags and an Arrow over Abbeville