Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Bethune-Kennedy House



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at 300 Kirkland Street, Abbeville, Alabama.
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 31° 34.032    W 085° 15.034
  31.5672    -85.25056666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFKV0
 



Text:

This rare, dual front door, double pen Creole cottage was constructed circa 1840 on the military three-notch road, now Kirkland Street. It is the oldest remaining structure in Abbeville. Earliest known owner was Confederate Colonel William Calvin Bethune, M.D. Last owner-dweller was Mollie Kennedy. To avoid immediate demolition, it was purchased in 1976, placed on the National Register in 1978 and initially restored by the Henry County Historical Society. It is presently owned by the Abbeville Chamber of Commerce.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Abbeville Chamber of Commerce, 1986.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: December 6, 1987




End of The Bethune-Kennedy House