Historic Markers Across Alabama



Union Springs Missionary Baptist Church and Cemetery



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: West of Newville, Alabama at 1624 County Road 73
County: Henry
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
Union Springs Missionary Baptist Church was dedicated to the Glory of God on September 19, 1896. Founders of the church included the Rev. Zack Deese, George Murray, Nathan Jones, Alec Cutchen, George Stokes, Marion Holland and Jasper Roney. The congregation first met in the Jones Valley School building which was constructed of logs. The school was located two miles northeast from the present site. Near the school were several gullies, each with a bubbling spring. From this union of springs came the name "Union Springs." Members were baptized in a pool of water that formed below these springs.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Henry County Historical Group and the Union Springs Missionary Baptist Church 2006


SIDE 2:
Church members voted to construct a new one-room wooden frame church building in 1902. Elizabeth Jane Holland Jones donated land for the new church. The Holland-Jones family cemetery already existed on the property from which the present Union Springs Cemetery began. The earliest recorded buiral is Isaac M. Holland, son of Thomas B. and Roseannah Holland, who died on February 7, 1864. The community which surrounded the church also became known as "Union Springs." The church was damaged by a storm in 1949. The present Union Springs Church sanctuary and six classrooms were completed in 1951.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Henry County Historical Group and the Union Springs Missionary Baptist Church 2006



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: October 29, 2006




End of Union Springs Missionary Baptist Church and Cemetery