Historic Markers Across Alabama



Town of Taylor, Alabama



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Taylor
County: Houston
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
Taylor is one of the areas oldest communities and later became a small town around 1870. Billy Taylor, son of James and Wealthy Taylor, established the post office and was appointed the first postmaster. Thus Taylor derived its name from the first postmaster in the later part of 1870. In 1884 the first school opened in a one room building. A two story school was later built. The first floor was used as a school and the second as the Masonic Lodge. The school served as the community center of the area and later burned in the mid 1970's. The Central of Georgia Railroad was built through Taylor in 1901 and Taylor began to grow. During the earlier years, Taylor had 9 stores, 5 fertilizer warehouses, a cotton gin, saw mill, turpentine still, two churches, school, barber shop, three doctors and a railroad depot. The closing of the railroad brought the decline of the business community.


Side 2:
On June 6, 1967 Taylor residence voted 41 to 4 in favor of incorporation. The first mayor was Travis Cheshire and first council Geraldine Parker, Rubye Register, Homer Lee, Thaxton Whiddon and Howard White. While the town had a population of 125 it has grown to approximately 1884. Taylor has continued to prosper and grow. Taylor has 25 business, 7 churches and a shopping plaza. The town has two ball fields with a park pavilion and a walking trail. Taylor has one of the larger rural water systems in Alabama consisting of 2 deep wells, 3 water tanks with approximately 130 miles of water lines servicing 2500 water customers. Elected in 2008, Joel Napier, Mayor and council Dana Watts, Larry Whiddon, Merritt Carothers, Billy Snell, Jr. and Kenneth Thompson, Sr.

"Taylor a great place to live"
Jackson County







End of Town of Taylor, Alabama