Historic Markers Across Alabama



Ashford Depot



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Next to the depot on Midland Street at 3rd Ave., Ashford, AL
County: Houston
Coordinates: N 31° 11.006    W 085° 14.258
  31.18343333    -85.23763333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFNVG
 



Text:

This depot, an example of late 19th century Victorian railroad architecture, was constructed by the Alabama Midland Railroad in March, 1888 as a way station on the Bainbridge-to-Montgomery route. The depot was the only building to survive a devastating 1915 fire which destroyed the original town area parallel to the railroad track. The Ashford Depot Committee has restored the building to its former appearance and has furnished it with original antiques. The depot houses an "Artifacts of the Wiregrass Museum", political history memorabilia and has a community room for use by area citizens.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Ashford Depot Committee, 1989.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  November 15, 1989



End of Ashford Depot