Historic Markers Across Alabama



Ashford United Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: At the church on Adams Street at 5th Ave. Ashford, AL
County: Houston
Coordinates: N 31° 11.112    W 085° 14.055
  31.1852    -85.23425
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGY2M
 



Text:

This building site was purchased March 9, 1889 by trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of Gordon Circuit. Services were held in a three-walled wood structure until the completion of a permanent building in 1893. In 1927 a brick building replaced this structure which burned in 1924. When a larger sanctuary was built in 1956, the old sanctuary became the fellowship hall. In 1987 an education building was constructed. The following year the sanctuary was renovated and stained glass windows were installed. "They that trust in the Lord shall be as mount Zion, which cannot be removed, but abideth forever." Psalm 125:1.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Ashford United Methodist Church, 1990.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 1, 1990



End of Ashford United Methodist Church