Historic Markers Across Alabama



Atlantic Coastline Passenger Station



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Powell Street, in the "Dixie" section of downtwon, Dothan, AL
County: Houston
Coordinates: N 31° 13.837    W 085° 23.506
  31.23061666    -85.39176666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFCHH
 



Text:

SIDE 1
Constructed by the Atlantic Coastline Railroad in 1907 during Dothan's rapid growth as a commercial center of the Wiregrass Region, this building serves as a reminder of the most popular and accessible form of transportation in the early 20th century, linking Dothan citizens to larger cities and beyond. Adjacent to this station was the city's first passenger & freight depot, built by the Alabama Midland Railroad in 1889 and demolished in the early 1970's. This two-story brick station served Dothan until 1979 when it was closed to passenger traffic.


Side 2:
The railroad used this station as an office complex until it finally closed in 1985. The building was purchased by the City of Dothan from CSX Transportation in 1989 to stop its planned demolition. The Atlantic Coastline Passenger Station is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage and the Department of the Interior's National Register of Historic Places. During 2007 & 2008, the Wiregrass Transit Authority renovated the station to serve as its headquarters.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Dothan Landmarks Foundation and the Wiregrass Transit Authority 2008




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 1, 2008




End of Atlantic Coastline Passenger Station